On July 27, 2008, I sent out 3 text messages for 4 people whom I wanted to say thank you to. I thought to myself that if something happened I wanted to be ready. I think I scared them as I was scolded by one for being too morbid while the two others cheered me on to not give up.
I was on prednisone for a total of 110 days, a drug, though lifesaving had a multitude of side effects that created chaos in my sense of being.
They say the measure of a good life is not by the amount of riches you gain but by the number of people who love and care for you. This is a long thank you note to the 110 people who made the past 110 days possible. It was a long process listing all these folks down and I know I may have missed a few. But to everyone whether your listed or not, THANK YOU..
So here goes...I am grateful..
1.For God – for the gift of life and well, for everything else.
2.For my Mom, Maria, for letting me go on my adventures even if I know she’s worried about me.
3.For my sister Vesper who taught me the value of ambition and soaring for my dreams
4.For my bestfriend Ella who has always been there for me, through thick and thin even if at times I am not there for her. Thank you for being part of my life
5.For Jay, who kept my spirits up during the times when the side effects of pred were taking its toll on my sanity; for rescuing my PAP convention paper and for treating me as if I was just the same old me.
6.For Oliver my beloved pusang kalye, my baby and my friend who never forgets who his “mommy” is despite our distance.
7. For Anthony, for making me laugh and keeping me company in Davao. Thanks for calling every so often to check up on me.
8. For my neighbors, Ria and Jesse who kept me company in the hospital and looked out for me during that hell week
10. For classmate Adrian’s endearing sense of humor and his courage to remove the bandaid.
11. My aunts and uncles—Tito Mannie & Tita Malou, Tito Joey & Tita Lucille, Tito Ted & Tita Thel for their never ending love and support. Thanks Tito Mannie for all the text messages you’ve been sending everyday.
17. My Ninang Rose and her family—papa june, che and pey—for their concern and care.
21. To Nongni, Tita Dada, Vince, Bobsi for picking me up in the airport whenever I go home.
25. Tita tats—my doctor away from home.
26. For my pamilya badminton—Tita Nel, Tito Noel, Kei, & RB. Thank you for always remembering me in your thoughts and prayers. I miss you guys!
30. My mentor and namesake—Fr. Jaime Bulatao. You’ve been there for me since even before I was born. I am honored to share your name.
31. For Fr. Ben, whose been there for me and my family for as long as I can remember.
32. To Michael, Jay’s friend whom I don’t know and haven’t met but took time out to help sort out my tarpaulin crisis in August. You saved my presentation. Maraming Salamat.
33. The Jollibee Plus Travel Group—Ma’am Lisa, Jovil, Marivic, Nicole, Ma'am Veron, Maam Anna & Hubby, and Earl—for welcoming me with open arms.
41. The Perfect 10 Girls—Divina, Tetet, Jai, Mariel, Kim, Flo, Beth & Aries —my personal cheering squad and bodyguards all rolled into one. These girls will go to war for me and I love them to death.
49. For Angeli, who is not only a great boss but also a great friend. She makes Nottingham feel like home.
50. To Angeli’s brothers and their families—Randy, Rose, Zoe, Rob, Selena & Zach—for the wonderful time we had in the cruise and for making me feel like I was a part of their family. Thanks!
56. For Charles, my safeguard Malaysia (a.ka. my konsensya).. He keeps me grounded to reality. Pano pag nag adik ka, he will smash you with the shuttlecock.
57. For Jom, my perennial sounding board. Rarely do you find someone worth keeping so she is a treasure to cherish.
58. For Bala & Natasha- for their understanding and care.
60. To Marissa, my first real friend in Kuala Lumpur.
61. To My doctor, Dr. Rudy Yeoh for his faith in my body’s capacity to heal itself. Rare do you find a doctor who listens not just with the mind but also with the heart.
62. To Dr. Rudy’s assistant—I don’t know your name but you make blood test as painfree as possible for me and for that I am so grateful.
63. To my manila doctor—Dr. Lisa Naranjo—for keeping tabs on me even if Im far away.
64. For Len & Witart George for their friendship. I look forward to my visits with you guys everytime I go home.
66. For Karen & Marlu who taught me about friendship and staying true to who you really are.
68. To Mimopie, my original “boyfriend” whose faith in me is amazing. Thank you for your love and trust even from afar.I promise if and when I get married, you will be the officiating priest (hahaha.. if it ever happens..)
69. For Friendship Maan’s support of my “crazy antics” and “adventures.”
70. To Oliver, the human (hahaha).. Teroy’s visit was one of the most fun times I had in KL. I’m glad you’re happier now.
71. To my Nottingham family—Liz, Azlan, Regina,Dian, and even Melissa (you’re still part of it) for taking me in and not making me feel alone in a strange land.
76. For my soulsister—Charrie whose impending motherhood is something I’m so excited about. I know you will be a great mom partner.
77. To Mardet & Jeff, my big brother and sister in the counseling program of ateneo. You always remember.
78. To my GBC family—Tita Cons, Tito Mau, Marlu, & Harry and everyone else who queue every Monday and Thursday nights.. Thanks for always welcoming me back to my beloved GBC.
82. For Denden & Kirby—for their cheerful hi’s and hello’s and for always keeping in touch. Thanks for breaking the curse kirbs!!
84. To Josh, my sis in SG, for being one of the few people here that I could talk to with all honesty. I’m so glad we became friends.
85. For Giselle & Shella and their generosity. Thanks for keeping our mom company in Manila.
87. To the PPPeyups gang—Vivi, Gilbert, Merly & Tin, good friends through all these years. Ano kaya ang announcement ni Tin? Thanks guys for believing in me.
91. For my cousin Tryke and his beloved Michelle who were my personal tour guides/drivers while I was in Davao back in August and whenever I am there.
93. For my comps’ gang—Chin, Bambi, & Obeng, for sharing my ups and downs even years after our famous exam.
96. For my ARP students—Sham, William & Hui Ying for being patient with me whenever I’m too sick to advise them.
97. For Ralyn & Ben whose lovestory gives me the hope that people do find their soul mates.
99. To Prednisone, the drug that saved my life.
100. To Niel,AJ, & Weevens, my ateneo friends and colleagues whom I bug every now and then for favors.
103. To Peter and the rest of experimental psychology & psych testing students in Ateneo for reminding me always of why I love my job.
104. To my UP Math Barkada-- Aldwin, Lyzet, Sheryll, Kim, Aldwin E., & Peter.. Good friends that I surely miss.
110. And to YOU, you know who you are-- for driving the symptoms away by simply being there.
I am forever grateful.