Friday, July 07, 2006

Superheroes

I just saw Superman at the Gateway cinema. It was a good movie although I finally understood what Tojie meant when he said he didn't want to watch it because it was sacreligious to the memory of our childhood Superman, Christopher Reeve. Superman was the first movie I saw in a theater when I was a kid. I was 3 years old then and my dad took me to Greenhills theater to watch it. I remember how we had to stand up and sing the national anthem just before the movie started. I guess watching Superman returns this afternoon by myself made the the memory more bittersweet than ever.

I liked the old versions better even if it lacked the technologically driven special effects that we have today. My head kinda spinned around everytime Superman would fly. I don't know why but I felt that the things Superman did before were more "possible" than what he did in the movie (try carrying a jumbo jet with a spaceship on top!). Or maybe it's just that I'm all grown up now. One thing I liked in this movie better though is that Lois lane became prettier and her fiancee is not a bad catch either!

I must admit, it would have been nice to watch Superman just like the old times-- with my dad but that is not possible now and I don't want to either. Things change, people change, and we all grow up. I guess I just kind of remember those days while watching the new clark kent tell lois lane, "I'm always around.."

At least Superman keeps his promises. I can't say that for others.

But then again we are only human.

***
I'm always around. Even if you don't notice. And I keep my promises..

No comments: