Monday, September 26, 2005

A new smile in heaven

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about my leukemic patient Roland who also had diabetes. I organized an impromptu surprise party for his birthday last August 19 (but we celebrated it the 18th). He gave me the most precious smile I've ever received in the hospital. It made the struggle to search for a sugar free cake worth it.

Today I found out that Roland passed away last week. I never saw him again after his surprise. I got busy with other work in the hospital as well as my own dissertation. According to Beth, our hospice staff, Roland stayed for two more weeks in the hospital. He was sent home afterwards and then passed away. His cancer spread to his lungs.

Roland was just 19. He was supposed to start college last June when he got sick. His mom abandoned them years ago and his dad was his sole supporter. Roland never lived to see his wish come true--a scooter. That was his birthday wish-- to own one.

Now there's a new smile in heaven. And his name is Roland. I wish him well there. I know he is finally at peace.

No comments: