Sunday, September 25, 2005

Winning & Losing

It's not about winning and losing that matters but how you play the game.

Yesterday I learned that about myself. I went up against a pair that was obviously stronger than me and my partner. My partner was so pissed off because they were obvious sandbaggers. I decided to fight. We went down hard-- losing in a heartbreaking fashion. But we didnt lose because we fought--we lost because my partner gave up. And that broke my heart. I was sick the entire day already and was actually on double dose of fever and cold meds. I didn't want to let her down. I fought my heart out. Even at 1-14, I was still willing to fight (even ran straight into the net). I knew winning was impossible but at the least I wanted to try. Karen remarked how my fighting spirit was strong despite the inevitable loss-- True. I didn't want to give up. I owe myself and the game that.

So we lost. And I cried. Another chapter ended. Another hard lesson learned. As Mang Jun told me later on-- in the end its how you act on and off court that matters.

Humility in victory and graciousness in defeat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hay mare, adidas was such an experience. last yr i only won 1 game, this year i made it to the semis with a partner i never practiced with...oh well..graciousness in defeat nga...i guess we have to be humble as we take baby steps to the top..who knows, it'll be our turn to bask in the glory of winning in a big tourney when the right time comes :-)...with the RIGHT partner of course :-)

Chocnut :-)